10 FREE things to do on Cape Cod – Winter Edition
Winter is definitely officially here with snow on the ground and temperatures in the low to mid 30’s. This is a great time of year to enjoy indoor activities and some outdoor activities with the family and I have some fun and entertaining FREE Cape Cod activities listed below. I searched the internet for FREE things to do with the kids on the Cape this time of year and came up with a good list. I will most definitely be taking my kids to do some of the activities listed.
One of the things I love to do with my two girls is to take them to the local libraries. I do this any time of year, and especially if they have been stuck in the house for days and need to get out and play. I live in Eastham and the Eastham Library, though very small, has an excellent area for kids. They have many great toys including a doll house, a kitchen, a puppet theater, not to mention all of the great books to read. I also like to go to the Wellfleet Library, they have a very large kids area with lots of great activities available such as coloring, learning activities, great books and a train table. Check out your local libraries and see if you have a kids section, it is well worth the trip and best of all it is FREE.
10 FREE things to do on CAPE COD in the winter
1. Visit your local Library. Enjoy some great books and play with their toys.
2. Visit the The Porter Thermometer Museum in onset. They have over 4,100 thermometers ranging from earring thermometers to fish thermometers. Listed in the Guinness Book of World Records. Location: 49 Zarahemla Rd, Onset, MA Phone: 508-295-5504
3. Play some chess against other kids the same age (ages 7 and up) at the Hyannis Public Library. The Children’s Chess Club meets every Wednesday at 4pm. You can bring your own chess set to share. The Hyannis Public Library also has Family Board Game Saturdays from 1pm to 4pm every Saturday. They have games, snacks, prizes and fun! Location: 401 Main Street, Hyannis. Phone: 508-775-2280
4. Contact your towns Recreation Department and ask to be notified of activities. Our Town has activities each month that the whole family can enjoy.
5. Visit the Salt Pond Visitor Center in Eastham. They have exhibits, a bookstore and a theater featuring short local history videos. Location: 50 Nauset Road, Eastham. Phone: 508-255-3421
6. Go for a trail walk. Even with snow on the ground this is a fun thing to do with the family. Find out where your local walking trails are and dress warm.
7. Take a brewery tour. The Cape Cod Beer brewing company has free tours all year long. Kids are welcome! The tour takes about 45 minutes, you get to taste some beer and the kids get to enjoy learning how beer is made and playing with some toys. (This activity is more for the adults, but at least it gets the kids out of the house.) Location: 1336 Phinney’s Lane, Hyannis Phone: 508-790-4200 Times: 11 am Tuesday, 1pm Saturday.
8. Visit the Cape Cod Potato Chip Factory and take a tour. Tours are available Monday – Friday from 9am to 5pm. Not only do you get to see how chips are made, you get a free bag of chips too! Visit the Cape Cod Potato Chip Factory website and play the Treasure Hunt game and you could win some great prizes. Location: 100 Breed’s Hill Road, Hyannis Phone: 1-888-881-CHIP
9. Visit the Woods Hole Science Aquarium. With about 140 species of marine animals you and your family are sure to enjoy this trip. Hours of operation are: Monday – Friday 11am to 4pm and Seal feedings are 11am and 4pm. Visit their website here for more info. Location: 166 Water Street, Woods Hole
10. Visit the Cape Cod Times online Things to do section and find activities for today and for the rest of the week. Website: www.capecodonline.com